Sunday 6 November 2011



It was a great privilege to have posted this craft on Ms. Redo site last Sunday.  I am also posting it here so that I can hold on to it.

I started with an idea and then began to look for some materials to make it.  Here is what I started with:

Coffee can
Mod Podge
Fabric-  Candy Cane striped, burgundy, tea dyed muslim
Jute
Glue Gun



I began by covering the coffee can with the burgundy fabric.  I used Mod Podge to do this.  I did it a little at a time so that the Mod Podge would not be dry.

Then I covered it with Mod Podge.

The next step involved using my computer and printing the saying that I wanted to put on the can.  I wanted to transfer the outline of the printout onto the muslim, so I printed it using the mirror image option in the printer settings.  I did this in Red Ink and Black ink because I wanted to have both colors in the paper.  To transfer I placed the paper on the muslim and used a paint brush to make the paper a little wet.  I pressed on the letters and some of the ink transferred to the material.  

Here is the black printout on the fabric.  You can see that it is a little wet.  This is tricky because it you don't put enough water, nothing happens; put too much and the color runs.  This is the first time I tried this on fabric so I did experiment a couple of times before I got the results  I wanted.

This picture give a better view of the whole thing.  You can see the Red outline that I am not shading and the black which I am using my Sharpie to make it darker.

This one is complete.  I did add a little more red in places with a red Sharpie.

 I made sure the lettering was dry and then I cut the fabric to the size I needed for the can.  Used some Mod Podge to attach it.  In hind site I should have done this part first because I could have put it on when the can was still wet.  Instead I had to add more Mod Podge.  Live and Learn.

Next I added 3 rusty stars and a burlap bow.


Glued a piece of Jute to the bottom to protect the furniture from scratched and a piece of a twig with berries.  

To finish, I needed some Candy Canes.  I Googled a template as seen below begin.  I folded the fabric in half and placed the template on the fold as directed.  


The I used a fabric marker to trace the outline.

Place some pins in in each one to keep it from unfolding.

Then I stitched each one around with the sewing machine, leaving a small hole to turn it right side out and to stuff it.  I used a knitting needle to help me to get the ends right side out and to push the stuffing into the ends.

Once I had it stuffed, I used hot glue to stick the hole together-- sort of cheated here since it should have been hand stitched.  However, it did get the job done faster.  I tied a bow around it and then it was ready for the can.




No comments:

Post a Comment